Monday, October 19, 2015

Killing Two Crows With One Stone



Yes, I made a pun concerning Six of Crows, a book I will be reviewing momentarily. In addition to finishing Six of Crows, I also added The Stranger by Albert Camus to my read shelf. That's where the second crow comes into my pun. Ha ha, I'm so funny.

First, The Stranger. I didn't know what to expect from this short novel since it was required for my English class. Most of the time, school reading is horrendous, the only exception before this year being To Kill a Mockingbird, which I loved. However, The Stranger can add itself to my blunt list of books I read in school and actually enjoyed. A lot. This book was weird, mainly because the main character is bizarre. Camus wrote this through an existential viewpoint, and that's probably why I liked it. Meursault, the protagonist, can be called a sociopath or a monster or even Monsieur Antichrist, but I found myself relating to several of his points/perspectives. Existentialism strikes a chord with me to a certain extent, so I feel like that lead me to like more than some of my fellow students.

Now, the real crows I'm talking about: Six of Crows.

 

"The autumn leaf might cling to its branch, but it was already dead. The only question was when it would fall."
-Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows 

I loved, loved this book, and I don't even think it was for the plot line. Yes, heist stories are great, but what really got me about Bardugo's new series? The characters. Six is a lot of people to keep up with, albeit Wylan didn't get his own narrative (which made me very sad, but Bardugo has said that he will have one next novel). However, the overwhelming amount of characters and backgrounds weren't annoying for two reasons.

1. I have read Game of Thrones. Once you read that, no other book has too many characters

2. The characters' strong personalities

Each of them was firmly distinguished from one another. They all had distinct traits that made them unique and lovable. There was one character I started off not liking but by the end I had grown to care for him as much as the others. My favorite character at the conclusion of the novel is Inej. That girl is amazing and lovely and I adore her and what she stands for.
The couples are also well-matched and very interesting. There was no kissing though. I'm sad about that. Leigh, please give me proof that these couples are going to happen!
I'm upset that I'll have to wait a year until the next book comes out. Let the anticipation build now.

Both the books above get a rating of...
5/5 stars!

Follow me on Goodreads to keep up with what I'm reading (Catcher in the Rye currently): Alyssa Skvarla

Photocreds:
The Stranger mock cover artwork- Lise Sasaki
Inej and Kaz fan art- fictograph
Nina and Matthias fan art- nilaffle.tumblr.com

1 comment:

  1. I loved The Stranger as well! I think that Meursault's indifference is quite interesting, especially because of his lack of moral values. I also think it's interesting how he passes through his life for so long without anyone questioning his lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete