Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Hitchhikers and Hamilton

YO. So I finished 2 books this month--I think? Maybe 3? In all honesty this month has been a bit of a blur. Between college decisions (a new form of misery and elation bundled together) and a strenuous senior year and soccer season back in motion, time is just...not there. At least not there for me to read, write, or update this blog.
But here I am. Finished gov reading, finished psych homework, and it's time to update my life.

For starters, I finished reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams this past weekend on my camping trip (in which Fran was in attendance of). The book had some amazing elements to it, such as it's satirical wit and SPACE. Conversely, sometimes the sci-fi sections were too much and confusing, and this is coming from a girl trying to write a space opera. Either way, this story was full of a lot of humor and great quotes and interesting characters. My attraction to the book was solidified by it's first page alone. With its laughable criticisms of humankind, I knew I'd discovered a book that fulfills one of my criteria: poking fun at human nature.
I'm excited to read more of Adams' works within the Hitchhiker's galaxy, but with how much I have to read, I don't know how soon that will be.
4/5 stars

"Arthur blinked at the screens and felt he was missing something important. Suddenly he realized what it was.
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?" he asked.” ― Douglas AdamsThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


Now, to the latter of this entry's title, something that is totally unrelated to my reading: Hamilton. GUYS if you haven't listened to the Hamilton soundtrack yet...please, listen. From a girl who spent several years of her youth listening to Wicked on repeat, this musical is amazing. Like, history with rap and pop and a diverse cast that doesn't care about what race the Founding Fathers were? Where can you possibly go wrong, especially when Lin Manuel Miranda is at the forefront.
Thus, to lead you in your listening of Hamilton here is a list (what a surprise) of my top 10 songs:
  1. Washington On Your Side 
  2.  Right Hand Man
  3. Satisfied
  4. Alexander Hamilton
  5. Take A Break
  6. What’d I Miss
  7. Wait For It
  8. My Shot
  9. Your Obedient Servant
  10. Non-Stop



Do note that this is an extremely loose list. Like my Star Wars score list, it's fluctuating constantly. Also, if you really are reading this and thinking about listening to Hamilton, please do so in order of the actual album, not this list. You get the story (and the emotions!!) by listening in order.

So yeah, there's March. Binge-listening to Hamilton, suffering under school's reign, and occasionally reading and writing. Big emphasis on occasionally.

Currently reading: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and The Book Thief by Mark Zusak (both for school)

No comments:

Post a Comment