Monday, May 27, 2019

Again, but Better (aka the point where I stop trying to be creative with titles)

It's hard to ignore how special this story is considering we know the author so well. I've watched Christine for a while, ever since her comedy sketch about pronouncing Hermione "Her-my-own". It's really cool seeing her actually complete her novel and the fact that she documented the entire thing on her YouTube channel?? That in itself is extremely inspiring and admirable and I commend her for it!! The story was cute and quirky enough for me to get through in two days. The plot itself was pretty interesting, kind of a version of 17 Again but in classic '90s romcom atmosphere.

I would say, it was really hard distinguishing Christine from the main character Shane. Shane's voice, her likes and dislikes, her quirks, her blog, everything is Christine. They are one in the same, and I think because of that, it was a little weird to read? It read more like a fanfic at times, which (I was telling Alyssa) isn't bad, no hate on fanfiction, but I do think there's a difference between fanfiction and books on the shelves. And you can't really get around the countless years of experience and skill practice to improve your writing, so in this case, it was apparent that this was a 'beginner' novel if that makes sense? I sound really mean and hypocritical I mean what do I know - but I think it's worth noting the interesting results of birthing a book from internet stardom like this, ya know? Because this has rarely been done before, I would assume that it's just one of those things that you can't really see coming when you already have an audience who knows you so well as an author.

That being said, it was really cool getting to read a product I watched video to video in the making. Congrats to Christine and I can't wait to read the next one!

Rating: 3/5 stars
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41147279-again-but-better

No comments:

Post a Comment