Saturday, December 19, 2015

Three things I love about THE FORCE AWAKENS

I know this is a book blog, but just go with my movie hype.

WARNING: THIS POST WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS. PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION



So with the warning out of the way, I would just like to say this movie was amazing. Like wow I can't believe I have to wait until I'm a sophomore in college to watch the next movie! It did so many things right (though not everything, but what movie does?) Following a discussion with my cousin we agreed it was A New Hope 2.0--new and definitely improved. And while there were nods and parallels to the original trilogy, this movie was unique in its own sense and displayed a new generation of characters that I wholly love.

Onto the three things I love:

#1: The score. John Williams has outdone himself again. With songs like "Rey's Theme" and "Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle" and "Torn Apart" John Williams has reintroduced Star Wars fans to classic tunes with new revisions. I am listening to the score as I write this, and to prove my point of my ever changing Top Ten Star Wars songs from my previous post, here is the list as of 12/19/15:
  1. Torn Apart
  2. The Abduction
  3. Rey's Theme
  4. Star Wars Theme
  5. Forest Battle
  6. Duel of the Fates
  7. Clash of Lightsabers
  8. The Scavenger
  9. Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle
  10. The Hologram/Binary Sunset
Different, right? Probably because over half of the list is from the most recent movie's score.

#2: I got what I've always wanted out of a Star Wars movie: a female protagonist wielding a lightsaber. And hot damn did this movie deliver. Rey (last name still ambiguous, though I hope she isn't a Skywalker) is everything I want and need. I loved how the trailers and advertising of this movie never showed Rey using the Force or Luke's/Anakin's lightsaber. It was just Finn with the lightsaber on posters and in TV spots. So I spent the whole movie wanting Rey to be the Jedi, not Finn (though I do love him), but not expecting her to. But when she touched Luke's lightsaber DAMN, and when she summoned it with the Force in her fight against Kylo Ren...that scene was amazing. So yeah I've fallen in love with Rey and several other characters which leads me to the next thing...

#3: The new characters, namely Rey, Finn, and Poe (and Kylo Ren). There was definitely not enough Poe in this movie, but the time he was on screen, he established himself as both lovable and awesome. I love this guy and he is such a badass pilot. Finn was interesting with his background as a Stormtrooper. It was cool getting a glimpse into the world of an average Stormtrooper and how they're not all bad. He's a sick shot but when he was using the lightsaber it never felt right, both to viewers and him. He rocks it with a blaster, not much with the Force. That belongs to Rey, who I have ranted about already (but I love her). Poe and Finn's friendship is so genuine and sweet, I wish they'd interacted more. I hope these three get all the glory they deserve. Meanwhile, Kylo Ren...I still don't know what to make of you. You are such a unique antagonist that I wasn't sold on being fully evil until YOU KILLED YOUR FATHER RIP Han Solo. Despite the fact that you killed a beloved character from the original trilogy, you remain to be an interesting villain. I look forward to the new Kylo Ren we're sure to see in the second movie following his training with Sith Lord Snoke. I also hope he and Rey duel it out again because that was awesome.


So yup there's three things I love about Star Wars Episode VII. Go watch it and love yourself and cry like I did. Or not...just know that you're missing out on awesome, unique characters and an amazing score.

I'm probably going to make another post concerning my 'fucking awesome sword fights in snow' theory because there was one in this movie and it was awesome but in a different sense than the other movies that fall in this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment